Thursday, February 26, 2009
Ugh, managing.
So I am really having a difficult time with management this week. I have been with my second graders for three weeks, and I knew that the testing was going to come. However, I wasn't expecting it to be all of the kids at once. I had a student climbing on the bathroom door during the bathroom break. I had another student push students in line, causing a domino affect in which four students fell down. I also had students talking during my lessons, and completely ignoring my cues for attention. And the sad thing...it all happened on the same day. It was terrible. I am getting overwhelmed. I never had this problem with the fourth graders. The next lesson I taught was slightly better, but they still weren't behaving for me like they do for my CT. It is frustrating. And I know I am not dealing as effectively with it as I need to be. My CT says that I need to give them negative consequences and really stick to it so I am consistent. It is really hard, though. I feel mean. In one lesson, I moved six different kids, and made five students give me five minutes of their recess time. It was terrible. I even had to tell them that if it didn't stop I would take away popcorn points because they weren't behaving well. It was really bad. Ugh, I know that practice will help me get better, but it is really hard. I feel mean, and then I get boring because I am thinking about how to deal with my managment problems rather than my teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment