Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Advice?
I am hoping to get some advice from all of you. I have noticed that the students in my class come up to me and ask me for help all of the time. Usually, it is with very minor things, like "I finished my story, what do I do" or "I don't know what this means." I want to help these students, but usually, they can ask others and figure it out. And usually, when they approach me, I am working with someone else. How can I discourage this overly dependent behavior? They are fourth graders, and I don't want them to be asking me every time they have a small question. Also, it is unfair to the student I am working with at that moment. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is a problem I'm struggling with, too. This week I actually tried explicitly saying, before I released them to work, that I don't want to hear my name called across the room or have people poking me while I'm working with someone else because I'm not going to stop what I'm doing. I told them they needed to wait patiently and try it out before asking for help. Maybe telling them to ask their neighbors first would be helpful, too. I haven't found a definite solution, but being VERY explicit, just as with "clear directions," has started to prove wise in my situation... worth a try? You could probably have a longer conversation, too. And as much as I shy away from them, maybe even a role play. Or have them model what to do and not do...?
Post a Comment