So I taught my third math lesson today. It went much better than all of my other lessons that I taught today. I felt much better about it. Lots of things were improved.
What went well?
First, I was really solid on my teaching point, and I stuck to it throughout the entire lesson. I stated it right off the bat at the start of the lesson, and addressed it several times during the discussion. Even after I had sent the students off to work independently, I still brought up my teaching point to individuals, reminding them that they needed to think about the similarities and differences. I think this helped them to refocus.
I also felt that I did a good job of assessing and monitoring the students' understandings with my teaching point in mind. As I was wandering around the room, observing what students were doing, I knew that very few, if any, of the students were actually starting the problems the way I wanted them to. Knowing that few students had the start that I needed, I was able to think about what I needed to do.
I improved in selecting and sequencing who I had discuss their ideas as well. At first, when I asked the students who had used the first starter problem to solve their main problem, I did call on some people that I shouldn't have called on. One students raised her hand saying she had solved her problem that way, but she hadn't, and I called on her. It did cause us to digress a little. But with the other students that I called on, I conferred with them before I had them come up, and was really clear about what they were thinking. I also was really thinking about which of the two students I chose had an easier idea for the class to understand. I still need to work on this, but I do feel like I am getting better.
When I was conferring with individuals, I felt that I did a really good job of not spending too much time with one student. I didn't confer a whole lot with my focus students, but I moved to lots of groups that were really struggling, and tried to refocus them. This wandering of the class really helped me to know who was doing what, and what the students were understanding.
Management was better overall. There were still some students who were bored, and I didn't feel that I provided them with enough checks for understanding. However, there weren't as many problems with students getting up to go to the bathroom, or whispering to their neighbor, although some of that did still happen.
What would I do differently?
If I were to teach this lesson again tomorrow, I think that I would be more cautious about who I called on to share their ideas about the strategy. I called on one student without checking what she had done, and I think it caused her to be unsuccessful. I want to really focus on not calling on individuals who I have not talked with. I have no idea what they will say, and that confuses me and the students.
I would also do more checks for understanding if I were going teach this again. Throughout the lesson, many students were confused and bored. I really want to be sure that they are engaged, so I need to think of more ways to engage them. I have those engagements written in my lesson plans, but when I am teaching, I tend to forget where they were. I need to work on letting go and letting the students share their ideas with each other. This will help them to be more engaged.
Where will I take the students tomorrow?
My teaching point for tomorrow is going to be really thinking about the differences between the numbers that they are using. I really want these students to focus on the numbers that they are using. I want them to think about what they are doing to these numbers. One of the activities that they will be playing will be Which is Farther? How Much Farther? For this activity, the students will really need to be thinking about what is similar and what is different about the two numbers that they are using. I want them, much like they did today, to really think about what is the same, and what is different in the numbers that they choose. I want them to be compare the numbers that they see in front of them. So, in kid language, my teaching point will be, I want you to think about the numbers that you are using, and see how they are the same, and how they are different.
My questions
How can you tell which idea should be shared first? Which one is easiest to understand? Which one will naturally build into another?
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment