Thursday, October 23, 2008

Today

So, I taught the last of what would have been my TWS if I hadn't bombed the first one today. It went well. I felt weird teaching it though. I had planned on something else, but when I was planning, I just never felt right about my teaching point. This morning, I talked with Carole, and she pointed out that I still hadn't taught them some of the things that were required for my assessment. So right before my lesson, I changed my teaching point. That is sort of what happened in my first two lessons, as well, but those ones were not successful.

So what was different? I think my internalization of the objective. I really felt like today, and yesterday, I really knew what I wanted the students to learn. I also didn't let the students take me on any digressions. I stayed on my teaching point. There was one point when the students wanted to discuss something other than the lesson, but I stuck with it, and told them we weren't going to talk about that yet.

I also think that bringing up my goal to the students repeatedly really helped me as well. I said it several times to the students, and that really helped to keep me focused as well. The students knew what I wanted, and because I kept saying it, I feel that I kept being reminded of it.

Hurray, I was successful today!

1 comment:

Carole Donaldson said...

Hey Bobbi Jo ~ The last two days' lesson went so much better. I agree that focusing on your one teaching point had a lot to do with it. I also think the time you spent planning really helped. You had thought through what you wanted to say and how you wanted to say it. You thought through your pacing and how you wanted to move through the lesson. Those are two huge improvements that I feel led to your success. Keep up the detailed plans. ~ Carole