Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Any advice?

Hello All,
Yesterday, while I was teaching, there was a "situation" with two students who were sitting next to each other. One students was doodling, and the other student kept trying to take away that student's drawing supplies. The student was not supposed to be drawing. It was during a lesson discussion. I pulled the students aside and told them that that was not acceptable, and asked for suggestions of what they could do to help each other learn. One student was contributing, but the other made no effort to come up with suggestions. I came up with them for this student. What is it that all of you do if you encounter a student who will not respond to more positive and collaborative discipline?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

This is a tough one that I'm definitely struggling with, too. We have a few students who are really difficult at times and are completely resistant to talking things over. So far, what I've learned from my teacher is that sometimes, especially if they are a distraction, removing them from the room until they are ready to talk can be a good solution. This may have to be something that is "normal" in the classroom, though, so that it wouldn't have the stigma attached. It does give the student more control over the situation, which can help sometimes.

Our school has timeout rooms, which are a bit intimidating, but I think are sometimes necessary. In an extreme case the other day I was teaching a small group and one of the students kept talking, refused to do the activity, and was distracting others. I first put him into another classroom for a few minutes to get him away from the situation. We chatted and he told me what choices he was going to make and I let him come back. He immediately started doing the same thing, though! I finally asked my teacher to step in (ahh!) and he got so bad that he took a trip to the timeout room (where it only escalated). So that's a bad example, but I feel like removal and THEN chatting can sometimes give students a chance to settle down and think.

Worth a try? This is something we'll never be able to get taught to us! Talk with your teacher, too!